Friday, January 11, 2013

The Funeral of Joseph Angelo


Planning for and celebrating Joseph's funeral was incredibly healing for us.  We chose to celebrate the funeral with the daily mass readings for the day of his funeral 12.22.12, which applied perfectly. Thus, the universal church prayed with us on that day. We were so touched and beyond blessed to celebrate with 8 Priests and countless others who were impacted by Joseph's life.  By popular demand, for those of you who were unable to attend and those who were there but wish to revisit the Mass, following is the Funeral Mass program and video clips of some highlights of the beautiful celebration..... Enjoy!
 
_____________________________________________________________
W

Mass of Christian Burial
In Celebration of the life of
Joseph Angelo Mohler

 
 Born and went to Heaven on  December 13, 2012
 
Faith grows when it is lived as an experience of love received and when it is communicated as an experience of grace and joy. It makes us fruitful, because it expands our hearts in hope and enables us to bear life-giving witness.”
Pope Benedict XVI, Porta Fidei, On The Year of Faith
 
December 22, 2012
St. Mark Church

Catonsville, Maryland
____________________________________________
 
“The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost.” -GK Chesterton
 
 “America you are beautiful . . . and blessed . . . . The ultimate test of your greatness is the way you treat every human being, but especially the weakest and most defenseless. If you want equal justice for all and true freedom and lasting peace, then America, defend life."  -Pope John Paul II
 
Each child is sent into this world by God with a "Unique Message" to deliver, a new personal act of love to bestow"... - John Powell, S.J.,
 
“A person’s a person, no matter how small.” -Dr. Seuss
 
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13
 
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you."   Jeremiah 1:5
 
"I was cast upon thee from the womb; thy art my God from my mother's belly" Psalm 22:10
 
“I will never forget you. See upon the palms of my hands I have engraved  you.” Isaiah 49:15-16
 
“To those without faith, death is the enemy, but to those who believe, Heaven is the ultimate goal.” -unknown
 
“One who hopes lives differently.”  -Pope Benedict XVI
______________________________________________________
 

The Celebration of the Beautiful Life
of
Jospeh Angelo Mohler

 

Celebrant

Rev. Christopher Whatley

Con-Celebrants

Rev. Erik Arnold
Rev. Michael DeAscanis
Rev. Joseph Dorniak
Rev. Michael Fappiano
Rev. John Kelley
Rev. Gene Nickol
Rev. Colin Poston

Pallbearers

Jerry Graves s John Mohler Jr sMike Graves sDr. James Baronas

Musicians

Scott Osterle  s Phil Rosensteel sSt. Mark Adult Choir
e

Processional

My Soul Magnifies the Lord by Chris Tomlin

Good news of great joy
For every woman, every man
This will be a sign to you
A baby born in Bethlehem
Come and worship, do not be afraid

A company of angels
Glory in the highest
And on the Earth peace among
Those of whom His favor rests
Come and worship, do not be afraid

Chorus
My soul, my soul magnifies the Lord
My soul magnifies the Lord
He has done great things for me
Great things for me

Unto you a child is born
Unto us a Son is given
Let every heart prepare His throne
Let every nation under Heaven
Come and worship, do not be afraid
________________________________________________________________________

First Reading

1 Samuel 1:24-28
Gabriela Silvani Antonelli
 
In those days, Hannah brought Samuel with her, along with a three-year-old bull, an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine, and presented him at the temple of the Lord in Shiloh. After the boy's father had sacrificed the young bull, Hannah, his mother, approached Eli and said: “Pardon, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the Lord. I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." She left Samuel there.

Responsorial Psalm

Better is One Day by Matt Redman
R:  Better is one day in Your courts
Better is one day in Your house
Better is one day in Your courts
Than thousands elsewhere
How lovely is Your dwelling place, Oh Lord Almighty
My soul longs and even faints for You
For here my heart is satisfied, within Your presence
I sing beneath the shadow of Your wings.  R.

One thing I ask, and I would seek, to see Your beauty,
To find You in the place Your glory dwells.  R.

My heart and flesh cry out,
For You the living God
Your Spirit's water for my soul
I've tasted and I've seen,
Come once again to me.
I will draw near to You.
I will draw near to you.
__________________________________________________________

Gospel

Luke 1:46-56

Mary said:
"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
for he has looked upon his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children for ever."

Mary remained with Elizabeth about three months
and then returned to her home
.
e

Homily

Rev. Christopher Whatley
e

Prayers of the Faithful

 Dr. Jack Baronas
e

Offertory Hymn

Prepare the Way
Prepare the way, prepare the way,
Prepare the way of the Lord.
R:  Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
You are the Light of the World.(3x)  R.
You are the Coming King.(3x)  R.
________________________________________________________

Presentation of the Gifts

Carol Graves  s Cindy Mohler s Jill Graves s Katie Mohler

Communion Hymns

O Come All Ye Faithful by John Francis Wade
 
O come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant Oh come ye O come ye to Bethlehem; come and behold him born the King of angels;
O come let us adore Him, O come let us adore Him, O come let us adore him Christ the Lord.

Sing choirs of angels sing in exultation sing all ye citizens of heaven above; glory to God in the highest: O come, let us adore him, Christ the Lord.
 
I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me
 
I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by Your side.
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When Your face is before me
I can only imagine
Chorus:
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for You Jesus or in awe of you be still ?
Will I stand in Your presence or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
I can only imagine when that day comes
And I find myself standing in the sun
I can only imagine when all I will do
Is forever, forever worship You
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
Chorus
 
Emmanuel, God With Us by Mercy Me
e

Words of Remembrance

Jerry Graves
John G. Mohler, Jr.
Rev. Michael DeAscanis
_____________________________________________________________
 
Dearest Friends and Family,
There are not words for us to express our gratitude to all of you for all your love, prayers and support over the past several months. Not only is Joseph’s life story about our love for him, a story about the strength that faith brings, and a story about trust in God’s will, it is a story about our friends and family who stood by us through it all. His life could not have touched so many without your prayers, God’s grace and the Holy Spirit working through not only us as his parents but all of you.
As parents we believe our primary responsibility is to lead our children to heaven, thus Joseph’s life, though short, fulfilled our ultimate goal.  In the hour Joseph was with us on Earth he experience only joy and love.
Joseph,
We love you and you will always be a part of our family. Though your body was not perfect, your soul is. You have taught us all more lessons about life and love than many who have lived long full lives. “you are my son with whom I am well pleased (Mark 1:11).”               Joseph, pray for us.
Gratefully, with Love and Prayers,
Jenny and John
In lieu of gifts, flowers, etc. please consider helping other moms and babies in need with a donation in Joseph’s honor to The Northwest Center, Maternity Home and Pregnancy Center Programs in Washington, DC  http://www.northwestcenter.net/
All Music and lyrics reprinted with permission                             CCLI License #1916063
___________________________________________________________
Entrance Song; My Soul Magnifies the Lord

Responsorial Psalm; Better is One Day

Homily; Father Whatley, Part 1
 
 Homily; Father Whatley, Part 2
 
Words of Remembrance; Joseph's Grandpa Graves
 
Words of Remembrance; Joseph's Grandpa Mohler
 
Eulogy; Father Michael DeAscanis
 
Recessional Hymn; Blessed Be Your Name
 



No comments:

Post a Comment